Houston Roofing News
We Texans are no strangers to summer heat and its impact on our lives, including how it can cause Houston roof damage, but cold weather can be just as significant and shouldn’t be overlooked as a potential threat to your roof. Especially given the extreme weather our area saw last winter, our Houston roof experts want you to know of the risks for winter roof damage and what you can do to prepare your home for our next cold spell. Keep reading to better understand the threats that winter brings to your property and how a Houston roof replacement may be your best protection from dropping temperatures.
Causes of Cold Weather Roof Damage To Your Houston Roofing
- Freezing rain and hail: hail is more common in the spring, but is still a threat to your Houston roofing all year, but winter weather also brings the possibility of freezing rain, which poses a similar threat as hail. This is especially true if it comes in the form of heavy precipitation, which reduces the protection your shingles provide, as the impact of freezing rain leaves divots and dents on their surface.
- Ice dams and ice accumulation: If rain is accompanied by freezing temps, ice can quickly build up on your roof’s surface. When this happens, it blocks rain from flowing off, clogging your gutters and increasing your risk of a leak. Since leaks cause damage to the interior of your home as well as the exterior, this type of winter roof damage can be considerably destructive and expensive.
- Snow build-up: This type of cold weather roof damage isn’t terribly common in Houston, but it does happen from time to time. If your roof is more than 10 years old, it may not be able to support the pressure of accumulated snow, as it no longer possesses the structural integrity required to support the additional weight, leading to the kind of cold weather roof damage that requires a Houston roof replacement.
Protect Your Property With a Houston Roof Replacement This Winter
In order to avoid the problems caused by the aforementioned threats, it’s wise to consider a Houston roof replacement and make sure your home is protected. An insecure roof is the last thing you want when cold weather strikes, so schedule a free inspection with our Houston roofer, who will examine it thoroughly, looking for missing or curling shingles, buckling or sagging in the rooftop, and loose or cracked flashing. Should we discover any of these issues, we may recommend a Houston roof replacement in order to ensure your home is properly protected against potential cold weather roof damage.
Call on Our Houston Roof Experts for your Houston Roofing Needs
The effects of winter roof damage shouldn’t be dismissed, even in Houston. Our Houston roof experts have been providing homeowners with the same level of service and professionalism we’ve offered to all our customers for over 47 years. Should you need new Houston roofing, Amstill has you covered every step of the way. We offer financing options and can even help you navigate the homeowners insurance process, as we don’t want anything to stand between you and peace of mind this winter. Call us today to schedule your free inspection and see why we’re the most trusted roofing company in Houston.
We’re in for a cold weekend, with temperatures falling below freezing for much of the area in the overnight hours and staying chilly throughout the day. If you’re noticing that your attempts to cozy up inside are thwarted by colder-than-comfortable interior temperatures, it could be the result of roof damage that is causing heat to escape through your attic and roof. Keep reading to understand how roof damage may prevent your house from staying warm this winter, as well as signs that your property sustained this kind of roof damage and how to address it.
How Houston Roof Damage Causes your Home to Lose Heat
The insulation in your attic is designed to regulate your home’s temperature by keeping warmer air out during the summer and colder air out in the winter. When your insulation is improperly installed, insufficient in quantity, or damaged, it’s no longer doing its job to keep the interior of your home at a comfortable temperature. This could be due to Houston roof damage like roof leaks that could be damaging your insulation and allowing mold or moisture to develop. On the other hand, sometimes insufficient or damaged insulation can actually be the cause of your roof damage. That’s because bad insulation allows interior heat to escape, and cause ice dams in frigid weather that irreparably damage your shingles and often require the need for a Houston roof replacement.
Signs of the Kind of Houston Roof Damage that Will Keep your House Cold this Winter
If you’re having trouble warming the interior of your home during cold snaps like the one we’re experiencing now, there are a few signs that point to Houston roof damage as the likely culprit:
- You’re noticing leaks or condensation build-up in your attic.
- Your shingles are damaged, buckled, or curling. Shingles should lie flat against your roof in order to offer the protection they’re designed to provide. When they don’t, this is indicative of wind or hail damage.
- Missing shingles signal existing Houston roof damage, which leaves your roof exposed to the risk for further deterioration and allows heat to escape through your roof.
- Extra space between your roof and ceiling due to wear or improper installation. If these gaps are too wide, you may need to consider a Houston roof replacement in order to keep your property safe and maintain a comfortable interior temperature.
- Inadequate, damp, or discolored insulation, which can occur when your insulation gets wet from a Houston roof leak. Discoloration is especially problematic, as it is a sign of mold development, a serious health hazard.
Our Houston Roof Experts Can Address your Roof Damage and Keep you Warm this Winter
If you’re seeing any of the signs of Houston roof damage listed above, it’s time to call our Houston roof experts and schedule a free professional roof inspection. The longer these issues go unaddressed, the higher the risk for further damage. Furthermore, since these signs of roof damage are also related to poor temperature regulation inside your home, ignoring or putting off repair or replacement could leave you in the cold this winter. Give us a chance to determine the presence and extent of your roof damage and make the best recommendations for your home. Whether you’re looking at roof repairs or a full Houston roof replacement, we’re here to guide you through this process and make your home comfortable again!
Temperatures have been steadily dropping around the Houston area, and as this happens, critters are desperate to find somewhere to stay warm, often driving them into your attic via your roof. Not only do they typically cause damage on their way into your home, but once settled, they continue to destroy parts of your property, sometimes so severely that a Houston roof replacement becomes inevitable. Knowing the signs of critter roof damage can help you address it, resulting in a pest-free home and secure Houston roofing.
How Critters Cause Houston Roof Damage
Squirrels, raccoons, rats, and possums are all known to frequent our area and settle in your home. These animals are known for their sharp teeth and claws, either of which can cause significant roof damage as they attempt to gain access to your attic, hoping to settle and breed. The longer these animals are in your home, the more likely the number in their population grows and causes more critter roof damage. These pests are known to chew through wires, insulation, floorboards, and drywall, not to mention that the initial damage they caused to your roof in order to enter your home is now exposed to the weather. If left unnoticed or unresolved, this deterioration of your roof’s integrity will require a Houston roof replacement.
Signs of Critter Roof Damage
If you see any of the following signs of critter roof damage, you probably have unwanted guests in your attic:
- The sight of droppings and/or urine
- Ripped air ducts in your attic
- Shifted or disturbed insulation
- Sounds of scurrying, knocking, squeaking, or scratching
- Odd or unpleasant odors
- Nests made from sticks, leaves, twigs and other natural elements
These signs warrant a call to our Houston roof experts immediately in order to determine the presence and size of a pest population. If they’ve caused extensive critter roof damage, you may need a Houston roof replacement to remove the damage and determine the source of entry. The good news is that new Houston roofing will not only add value and beauty to you home, but it will also keep future pests out of your home, as these newer, sturdier materials are more difficult for even the most destructive critters to damage.
Trust Our Houston Roof Experts with your Houston Roof Replacement
If you suspect critters have caused your Houston roof damage, it’s time to call Amstill Roofing today for a free inspection. We’ll examine the extent of the damage and make our recommendations from there. Should our Houston roof experts determine you need a Houston roof replacement, our highly skilled team will provide an estimate, help you choose the right materials, and schedule a time to get your new roof installed so as to prevent any more unwanted house guests!
Most of us are aware that weather, age, and even critters can cause Tomball roof damage, but did you know that bad attic insulation can cause roof damage as well? When insulation is laid, the quality of the insulation itself is important, as substandard materials will wear faster and require premature replacement. But it’s also imperative that insulation be installed correctly, meaning in the right spots in your attic using the right quantity, as too much or too little insulation can be just as bad as no insulation in many cases. Our Houston roof experts are here to explain how bad insulation can cause Tomball roof damage and what you can do to prevent and repair it.
How Does Bad Insulation Cause Tomball Roof Damage?
The purpose of insulation is to regulate the temperature in your home and keep it comfortable for you and your family. But since insulation is installed in the attic, it can also affect your roof’s ability to regulate temperature, too. When your roof becomes too warm, it can cause damage to your shingles by weakening them over time. In the winter, if freezing temperatures are accompanied by rain, ice can build up on your roof’s surface. But if your attic is poorly insulated, heat can escape through your roof from inside your home, melting any ice that has accumulated on your roof. If it’s cold enough, this water will flow across the surface on your shingles and then refreeze beneath them, causing extensive Tomball roof damage. While our area doesn’t see temperatures this cold on a regular basis, it can happen. Since it is irregular, however, many homeowners don’t know to look for this type of roof damage, often letting it get so severe that a Tomball roof replacement becomes necessary.
How Can I Tell if I Have Bad Insulation?
If your insulation is damaged or lacking, the risk for the aforementioned Tomball roof damage is significantly higher. One rule of thumb to determine if you have enough insulation in your attic is to check if rests above or below your floor joists. If your insulation doesn’t sit higher than your floor joists, there isn’t enough to properly insulate your home or protect your Tomball roofing.
It’s also important to look for problems with your insulation. If it’s damp, discolored, or tamped down, this is evidence of water infiltration, which could mean the need for a Tomball roof replacement. The best way to determine the extent of your roof damage caused by bad insulation is to schedule a professional roof inspection. Our Houston roof experts can get a better vantage point and look both on your roof and in your attic for signs of Tomball roof damage that require repair or even a Tomball roof replacement.
Call Amstill To Schedule A Free Roof Inspection Today
If a trip to your attic revealed issues with your insulation, then it should not be ignored. Our Houston roof experts are familiar with the kind of damage caused by bad insulation and know exactly what to look for. We want you and your home to remain comfortable year-round, which is why our roof inspection is detailed and thorough, ensuring we don’t overlook anything that could be cause for concern. If it’s been more than six months since your last professional inspection or you suspect bad insulation has caused Tomball roof damage, call us to schedule your inspection today!
We live in a climate where severe weather is known to cause roof damage and significantly shorten the typical lifespan of many Houston roofs. While roofs in other areas with milder weather may survive the average 15-20 year lifespan, Houston roofing is exposed to harsher conditions than elsewhere. The hot summer sun, heavy rains, and hurricanes that often plague the Gulf Coast forces many area residents to invest in a Houston roof replacement earlier than expected. That said, our Houston roof experts are no strangers to these conditions, and have some roof maintenance tips to make your roof last and prevent further damage.
Making your Houston Roofing Last
Take advantage of this holiday weekend and complete the following tasks, all of which can help keep your Houston roof clean and secure, allowing it to better protect your home.
Keep Gutters Clean
Your gutters could be clogged with leaves, twigs, and other debris, which means they aren’t able to do their job effectively. When a storm rolls through, especially one that brings heavy rain, it should flow over your shingles and then into your gutters, which should then divert the water to the ground below. When they’re clogged, however, the water pools on your roof’s surface, which weakens your shingles and impedes their ability to protect your home. If you discover loose granules in your gutters or downspouts, this usually suggests that it’s time for a Houston roof replacement, as your shingles have severely deteriorated and are no longer effective.
Remove Low-Hanging Branches
When branches hang low and over your roof, you’re putting your home at risk for roof damage. Should heavy winds move through the area or those limbs rot and fall to your roof, the impact can cause significant Houston roof damage. Because well-intentioned homeowners can do more harm than good by trying to remove these limbs themselves, Our Houston roof experts strongly recommend hiring a professional arborist instead.
Over time, our humid climate can cause moss growth on the surface of your Houston roofing, which can trap moisture to your roof’s surface. This leads to shingle deterioration and an unsightly green tint. While determining the underlying cause of the moss growth is imperative, you should also take a trip to your nearest hardware store to buy a special cleaning solution designed to gently remove it. This solution should be applied and rinsed gently so you don’t make matters worse by scrubbing at your shingles and causing granule loss.
Maintain Regular Roof Inspections
We recommend you schedule a professional roof inspection every six months so that our Houston roof experts can identify possible roof damage and make the best solution for your home and budget before it gets worse. Our roof inspections are thorough and precise, as we never want to overlook something that could put you or your property at risk, which means that sometimes we uncover issues that warrant a Houston roof replacement. If that’s the case, our professional Houston roofers are your best choice for the job.
When to Know It’s Time for a Houston Roof Replacement
Advanced age and/or extensive damage can cause our Houston roof experts to recommend a Houston roof replacement during your inspection. This is usually due to the presence of sagging, buckling or curled shingles, excessive granule loss, or multiple leaks. We’re known as the top Houston roofing contractor thanks to 47 years of experience, highly-skilled professionals, and thousands of satisfied customers. We also complete your work quickly, on time, and on budget. We offer flexible, in-house financing for those who need it and will even help you determine if your homeowners insurance policy may cover all or part of the cost for your Houston roof replacement.
Amstill Can Help you Maintain your Houston Roof
We know that a Houston roof replacement is a significant investment, so we want to help make your roof last as long as possible. Your best line of defense against our wild Houston weather is to schedule your free roof inspection with our Houston roof experts every six months. We also offer free estimates for those in the market for a Houston roof replacement, so don’t put off your Houston roof maintenance needs and risk potential roof damage. Call us today!
We all want to keep our home looking beautiful while also ensuring it is well protected. The average roof lasts 15-20 years, but we live in a climate that is prone to severe weather like hurricanes and heavy rains, which are known to cause Houston roof damage and significantly shorten the lifespan of Houston roofing. If you want to keep your roof in good shape and make the most of its remaining years, our Houston roof experts offer the following roof maintenance tips.
Ways to Make Your Houston Roofing Last
Take advantage of our unseasonably warm weather and consider tackling the following projects before temperatures drop again:
- Clean Your Gutters: Autumn leaves have been falling steadily for a few months, which means your gutters could be clogged with leaves, twigs, and other debris, which means they aren’t able to do their job effectively. When rain falls, especially if it’s a heavy downpour, your gutters are designed to divert the water from your roof and to the ground below. When they’re clogged, however, the water pools on your roof’s surface instead, soaking your shingles and breaking them down over time. As you clean your gutters, look for evidence of loose shingle granules, which is a sign that your shingles have deteriorated significantly and are no longer strong enough to protect your home. This usually suggests that it’s time for a Houston roof replacement.
- Keep tree limbs and branches away from your roof: If you’re lucky enough to have large shade trees in your yard, you want to make sure there are no limbs or branches hanging too close to your Houston roofing. If that tree branch were to break and crash on your roof, the impact can easily cause Houston roof damage by cracking your shingles, gutters, flashing, and other roofing structures. Our Houston roof experts strongly recommend hiring a professional arborist to remove these potentially damaging limbs, however, as they know how to trim them with less risk of unintentional impact with your roof in the process.
- Keep Your Shingles Clean: Over time, moisture can build up on your Houston roofing, especially in our humid climate, which leads to moss growth. Not only is moss growth an unsightly problem, it can also trap that moisture to your roof’s surface, deteriorating your shingles beyond repair. While determining the underlying cause of the moss growth is imperative, you also want to use a special cleaning solution (found in most hardware stores) to remove it in the meantime. Be careful, though! Scrubbing or power washing your shingles will only make matters worse, as it will remove granules from your shingles, rendering them unable to protect your home.
- Schedule a Seasonal Roof Inspection: The most important way to make your Houston roof last is to schedule a professional roof inspection every six months. Our Houston roof experts know the importance of identifying any underlying roof damage early, therefore we proudly perform thorough roof inspections so you can be sure nothing is overlooked. During this process, we’ll assess the condition of your roof and the presence and extent of any roof damage. Sometimes we uncover enough issues to recommend a Houston roof replacement, which we can complete quickly and with the quality craftsmanship that has made us the best in the business for over 40 years.
What If I Need A Houston Roof Replacement?
Even the most attentive and regular homeowner maintenance can’t make your roof last forever, especially if it is damaged or reaching the end of its lifespan. If our Houston roof experts recommend a Houston roof replacement during your inspection, we’d be honored to complete the work for you. We’ve built a reputation as the top Houston roofing contractor thanks to years of experience, skilled professionals, satisfied customers, and a streamlined process. We offer flexible, in-house financing, a variety of materials to fit your preference and budget, and can help you determine if your homeowners insurance policy may cover all or part of the cost for your Houston roof replacement.
Houston Roof Maintenance and Houston Roof Replacement With Amstill
Whether you want to make your existing roof last a few more years or know it’s time for a full Houston roof replacement, call our Houston roof experts today to schedule an appointment. We offer free roof inspections and estimates, performed by a licensed Houston roofer who is an expert in the field. Don’t put off your Houston roof maintenance needs and risk potential roof damage. Call us today!
When temperatures drop during these colder months, animals and other pests often look for places to get warm. The attic of your home is an especially welcoming place, which critters access in or around your roof, usually by creating an opening themselves or widening an existing weak spot in your roof’s surface. This type of critter roof damage can be severe and necessitate a Sugar Land roof replacement.
How Critters Cause Sugar Land TX Roof Damage
Squirrels, raccoons, rats, and possums can all cause critter roof damage to your Sugar Land roofing. These animals are known to gnaw and chew along the surface of your roof, creating access to the interior of your home, where they nest, breed, and raise a larger population of pests to cause even more critter roof damage. These animals will chew through wires, insulation, floorboards, and drywall, after already causing the initial roof damage necessary to enter your home, which is now exposed to the elements. The longer this continues without intervention, the quicker you’ll need a Sugar Land Tx roof replacement.
Signs That Critters Have Caused Sugar Land TX Roof Damage
There are many signs of critter roof damage that you should look for this time of year, and any of the following means you’re likely hosting some unwanted guests in your attic. If that’s the case, call our Houston roof experts and schedule a roof inspection to see if you need a Sugar Land roof replacement:
- The sight or smell of droppings and/or urine
- Ripped air ducts in your attic
- Shifted or disturbed insulation
- Sounds of scurrying, knocking, squeaking, or scratching
- Odd and unpleasant odors
- Nests made from sticks, leaves, twigs and other natural elements
When Critter Roof Damage Warrants a Sugar Land TX Roof Replacement
The sooner you become aware of these critters’ presence in your home and the damage they may have caused, the easier it can be to remove them and make the repairs necessary to keep them out of your home. Sometimes, however, the damage they caused to your Sugar Land roofing is too severe, at which point our Houston roof experts will likely recommend a Sugar Land roof replacement. When we install your new roof, our Houston roofers will ensure there’s no place for critters to find a way back into your home.
Trust Our Houston Roof Experts With Your Sugar Land, Texas Roof Replacement
If you suspect your Sugar Land roof damage was caused by critters, call our Houston roof experts today to schedule your free inspection. Should we determine the damage is extensive enough to warrant a Sugar Land roof replacement, you can trust us to do the job with precision and pride, ensuring your home is protected for many years. We have over 40 years of experience serving Houston and its surrounding areas and would be honored to serve you and your family.
Fall brought an increased risk of Kingwood roof damage thanks to strong fronts ushering in cooler temperatures, falling leaves, and the end of a very active hurricane season. But if you don’t know what to look for, especially when those fall conditions caused roof damage significant enough to warrant a Kingwood roof replacement, you could be unaware of the need to address them, leaving you to deal with more costly problems in the future. Our Houston roof experts want you to be aware of the signs your home sustained fall roof damage, and what you can do to address it.
Types of Kingwood Fall Roof Damage
- Roof Leaks: heavy rains from hurricanes and strong cold front storm systems can easily drop the kind of rain that causes severe storm damage. Not all leaks are immediately noticeable, and our Houston roofer often discovers hidden leaks that have resulted in significant water damage completely unbeknownst to the homeowner before our roof inspection.
- Wind Damage: Winds are common with incoming fall cold fronts and can be strong enough to affect your shingles and other roof materials, as well as send debris and other loose items on your property flying onto your roof. This is known to puncture your shingles and affect their ability to prevent further Kingwood roof damage.
- Clogged Gutters: The leaves that fall during the autumn months quickly accumulate in your gutters, clogging them so that rainwater cannot easily flow away from your home. This water will soak into your shingles instead and impede their ability to protect your home.
If you’re noticing any of these issues, don’t ignore them. Our Houston roof experts recommend seasonal roof inspections to assess the level of this fall roof damage and determine if you need a Kingwood roof replacement.
Our Houston Roof Experts Recommend A Roof Inspection Every Fall
As autumn comes to a close, it’s a good time to schedule a seasonal roof inspection to see if your home sustained any Kingwood roof damage. Our Houston roof experts are familiar with the aforementioned issues and are also knowledgeable about recent weather conditions that may have led to this type of damage. We can assess your Kingwood roofing and let you know if it’s structurally sound enough to keep you and your family safe. Should we see the need for a Kingwood roof replacement, we’ll make the process as smooth as possible and complete your project in as little as one day.
Trust Amstill Roofing For Your Kingwood Roof Replacement
Our Houston roof experts have built a name for ourselves as trustworthy, dependable, and experienced. If we determine that your home has suffered extensive fall roof damage, a Kingwood roof replacement may be the best way to properly protect your property from further issues. Contact us today to schedule a free inspection and discuss the options available to you, which will be personalized to meet your individual needs. We value your business and hope to earn the opportunity to serve you and your family.
The older your roof, the more likely it is to sustain serious roof damage, which often result in costly repairs or the need for a Houston roof replacement. But there are some ways you can prolong the life of your Houston roofing and ensure it's able to properly protect your home when the weather turns foul.
Roof Maintenance Tips From Our Houston Roof Experts
Here’s what you can do to keep your Houston roofing in good shape, especially as we move into colder weather:
- Clean your gutters regularly: Especially at this time of year, gutters can easily become clogged by leaves and other debris, preventing rain from draining off the roof as is intended. When this occurs, your shingles can become waterlogged, which weakens their ability to protect your home. You’ll also want to check your gutters for shingle granules, as this is a sign that your shingles are deteriorating rapidly and are no longer strong enough to protect your home. This usually suggests that it’s time for a Houston roof replacement.
- Keep branches trimmed: If you have tree branches that are hanging over your roof, they could spell trouble for your Houston roofing. All it takes is one strong storm for that branch to crash down onto your roof, causing Houston roof damage to your shingles, gutters, flashing, and other roofing structures. This is a job left to the professionals, however, as it’s possible to do more damage than mother nature if the branch is not removed properly.
- Remove moss growth: Moss growth indicates moisture build-up, which is never a good sign for your Houston roofing. While determining the underlying cause of the moss growth is imperative, you also want to clean it from your shingles using a specialized cleaning solution that is designed for this purpose and can be found in most hardware stores. Use care when performing this task: scrubbing or high-pressure power washing will remove granules from your shingles, damaging them beyond repair.
- Get a professional roof inspection every 6 months: Our Houston roof experts recommend twice-yearly roof inspections to identify Houston roof damage in its early stages. Or, if your roof is damaged beyond repair and requires a Houston roof replacement instead, we can get your new roof installed promptly, before potentially-damaging weather strikes.
Our Houston Roof Experts Offer Houston Roof Replacement
While the aforementioned roof maintenance suggestions are intended to extend the life of your Houston roofing, sometimes that isn’t enough to properly protect your home. If your roof is old or the roof damage is severe, it might be time for a Houston roof replacement. Should your roof inspection with our Houston roof experts reveal this to be the case, we have a number of options from which to choose and can typically finish the job in a day. We also have financing options available and can help you determine if your homeowners insurance policy may cover all or part of the cost for replacement.
Amstill Has Your Houston Roof Maintenance and Houston Roof Replacement Needs Covered
Maintaining a sturdy roof is imperative to its ability to protect your home. As we move into colder months and the severe storms that often accompany winter fronts, it's more important than ever to ensure your Houston roofing is ready to weather the season. Call our Houston roof experts today to schedule an appointment for your free inspection and get your home winter-ready!